Bernhard Drax, Q/A of “Our Digital Selves: My Avatar is me” documentary for 6/1 NPC

Bernhard Drax, Q/A of “Our Digital Selves: My Avatar is me” documentary for 6/1 NPC

Joyce Bettencourt-2
Join us Friday, June 1st for the Nonprofit Commons in Second Life meeting, featuring a discussion and Q/A with Bernhard Drax (Draxtor Despres in Second Life) who recently produced the feature documentary “Our Digital Selves: My Avatar is me”, chronicling the research of social scientists Donna Davis and Tom Boellstorff on embodiment and placemaking in virtual worlds.

"Virtual Worlds, Disability, and New Cultures of the Embodied Self" is a research project with two Principal Investigators, Tom Boellstorff and Donna Z. Davis. The research is supported by the University of California, Irvine; the University of Oregon; and a grant from the National Science Foundation (Cultural Anthropology and Science, Technology, and Society).
The researchers launched the community “Ethnographia" three years ago, creating a safe space for qualitative discussion, and therefore real research, on the individual experiences of anyone in Second Life who identifies, or is identified as, “disabled,” and the resulting documentary, presenting people in their own words, is something everyone should see.

Watch the full documentary at http://ourdigitalselves.com/documentary/ and come ready to discuss and ask questions.

About Berhard Drax
Bernhard Drax is an award-winning producer who creates interactive audio/video content and devises new media concepts for corporate and academic clientele. In addition to producing music for film, television and the web Bernhard has a solid background in radio news production and print journalism.

Join us in Second Life!

Nonprofit Commons Weekly Meeting
Friday, June 1st, 8:30 AM PT / SLT
Plush Nonprofit Commons Amphitheater

AGENDA (all times below PT)
  • 8:30 am Introductions & Updates
  • 8:45 am Mentors Central & Announcements
  • 9:00 am Featured Discussion - Bernhard Drax, Q/A of “Our Digital Selves: My Avatar is me” documentary
  • 9:50 am Community Open Mic & Announcements

The mission of the Nonprofit Commons in Second Life is to create a community for nonprofits to explore and learn about virtual worlds, foster connections, and discover the many ways in which nonprofits might utilize the unique environment of Second Life to achieve their missions. http://nonprofitcommons.org

--
Joyce A. Bettencourt

cell: 508.415.5210
skype | aim | ichat: JoyceBettencourt

aka Rhiannon Chatnoir inSL
www.twitter.com/RhiannonSL
www.facebook.com/JoyceBettencourt
www.linkedin.com/in/JoyceBettencourt

Creative Director of The Vesuvius Group development studio
www.thevesuviusgroup.com

Co-Founder and Vice President of 501c3 nonprofit AvaCon, Inc.,

artist, designer, blogmistress, community organizer & new media girly geek
www.joycebettencourt.com