Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

Brant Knutzen-3
Hello SLED educators,

We are completing team development of situational training simulations for the Biochemistry department at the University of Hong Kong, and I thought the educators here might find the results interesting.   Note that these are recorded videos of an example scenario run-through, and do not really capture the sense of active control and immersive presence when students navigate the situation themselves in the 3-D virtual environment.

The Biochemistry scenario is designed to supplement face-to-face laboratory training for medical students, try to make it more interesting and engaging, and provide a patient background to the analysis of a bio-sample. Students will participate in teams, and each team will be assigned one of five virtual patients, each with a unique case history, disease symptoms, and bio-sample for analysis.   Teams will present their diagnoses, treatment plan, and prognoses to the class.

I have broken it down into two parts: the virtual patient, and the virtual laboratory.

Part 1: the student doctors meet the patients, reviews their medical history, and view a recorded telemedicine interview.

Part 2: the students take the patient bio-sample from the hospital to the laboratory for lipoprotein separation analysis.

Students use a Head-Up-Display (HUD) to receive instructions, and make choices regarding common problems setting up the gel tank electrophoresis equipment, and the basics of analyzing the results.

These simulations are currently set to allow public access, but we plan to restrict access when the next teaching term starts in Sep.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions for improvement I'd love to hear from you!

If you know anyone in your circles who might be interested in developing similar scenarios using the virtual environment please feel free to share these videos with them.

I am blogging about these projects at: Brant.Knutzen.se, where you can also find a video Tour of the Innovative Learning Centre, which I created for the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine.

Credits:
Principle Investigator:
Dr. Joanna Ho, Biochemistry dept, Faculty of Medicine, HKU

Co-investigators:
Assoc Prof NS Wong, Biochemistry dept, Faculty of Medicine, HKU
Brant Knutzen, Lecturer and EdD candidate, Faculty of Education, HKU

HUD development: David Burden, Daden Inc.
Manikin design: Ping Kwan, Chinese University
Research Assistant: Kulsum Amreen
Virtual equipment assistant builder: Ye Liang (Moon), PhD candidate, HKU

Re: Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

Sharon Collingwood-2
Erm. . .

So is biochemistry listed under chemistry or biology?

Check my listing on the wiki,

On Aug 8, 2014, at 10:47 PM, Brant Knutzen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dr. Sharon Collingwood
Department of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies
The Ohio State University
286 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1311

Blog: Exploring the Virtual Classroom

Second Life, Open Sim: Ellie Brewster
Twitter: @EllieBrewster

Feminist Cyberspaces: Pedagogies in Transition

Re: Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

Granaas, Michael
From the OP's descriptions I would put these under Professions and Applied Sciences as they are for medical (professional) students.

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

hajimen

Hi Sharon,

Which is correct page?

http://www.vwed.org/wiki/List_of_disciplines_in_virtual_worlds_education

or

http://www.vwed.org/wiki/List_of_SITES_and_teaching_resources_in_Second_Life

Hajime Nishimura, JAMSTEC

Yan Lauria, Abyss Observatory in SL

[...]

Brant Knutzen

Lecturer, Faculty of Education

University of Hong Kong

Dr. Sharon Collingwood

Department of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies

The Ohio State University

286 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall

Columbus, Ohio 43210-1311

Blog: Exploring the Virtual Classroom

Second Life, Open Sim: Ellie Brewster

Twitter: @EllieBrewster

Feminist Cyberspaces: Pedagogies in Transition

Re: Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

Sharon Collingwood-2

This page tells us that you are working in virtual worlds:

This one lists the actual site you are working on  -- particularly useful if it is open to the public.

I've started to use both -- that is, I'll list the person who is working under DISCIPLINES, then, if they also have a site, I'll put a more detailed description in the appropriate sites page (SL, Opensim, etc.)  and link to that from the Disciplines page.

On Aug 10, 2014, at 11:59 PM, 西村 一 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sharon,

Which is correct page?
or

Hajime Nishimura, JAMSTEC
Yan Lauria, Abyss Observatory in SL

Dr. Sharon Collingwood
Department of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies
The Ohio State University
286 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1311

Blog: Exploring the Virtual Classroom

Second Life, Open Sim: Ellie Brewster
Twitter: @EllieBrewster

Feminist Cyberspaces: Pedagogies in Transition

Re: Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

hajimen

Hi Sharon,

I thought both pages has similar contents and it is rather difficult for me, Japanese, to understand the difference between “working in” and “the actual site you are working on”. Do you mean the former is like a campus or a meeting place and the latter is like a exhibits place?

And I think the latter page (List of SITES and teaching resources in Second Life) is not linked in your wiki top page (http://www.vwed.org/wiki/Main_Page).

I added VWed Wiki into “Second Life Wiki Education/Resources”

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Education/Resources

Hajime Nishimura/ Yan Lauria

Re: Biochemistry training simulations for HKU

Sharon Collingwood-2
Well, that's a good criticism, Hajime, I'll have to think about it. There are a lot of reasons why people go to the wiki, and I was considering two questions people might have

(1) Who else is working in my discipline?  (List of disciplines)

That doesn't necessarily mean they actually have a project going at the moment, they may just be researching, or writing, or getting a project together. The list of disciplines covers all platforms. In other words, if you were just looking on the Second Life List of Sites, you might not find all the people in your discipline.

(2) What projects are being developed in my platform? (Lists of Sites for each platform)

Our community is spreading to more platforms than just OpenSim & SL.  High Fidelity seems to be chugging along, and there are a lot of people working in Unity. If all those people post their projects to the discipline page, it will become too crowded.

Perhaps what I should do is explain this more fully on the List of Disciplines, asking people for a short post about their area of study, and suggesting that if they do have a project going they should enter it on the platform page (List of sites) Or maybe, as you say, those two pages should be combined.

What do other people think?