Healthcare Educators Meeting Tomorrow at 11:00 PDT

Healthcare Educators Meeting Tomorrow at 11:00 PDT

Douglas Danforth
Hello,

I am forwarding this message to the list as a reminder that there will be a meeting tomorrow for all interested in Healthcare Education in Second Life. The meeting will be at 11:00 PDT.

Here is the SLURL

http://slurl.com/secondlife/OSU%20Medicine/144/197/24

Hope to see all interested folks tomorrow.

Doug Danforth
SL:DrDoug Pennell

Please excuse duplication. This message is being sent to SLED, SLHealth, and SLRL.

This morning I was part of teaching a session introducing Second Life to the International Association for Dental Researchers, promoting SL for both research, education, and healthcare. We had some really interesting conversations going on in the room.

Afterwards, I was talking with DrDoug Pennell. I was looking for a group for these new healthcare educators and researchers to get the kind of support, community, collaboration, discussion, resources and peer education that I have observed in groups like ISTE, Science Center, Science Friday, Nanotechnology Island, Metanomics, etcetera. Neither DrDoug nor I could think of a group that does this for health teachers, although many groups are doing this for various health care consumer communities.

We thought we'd give it a try, create a group, and see if anyone else is interested. The general idea is to try to have an initial discussion with interested parties, see who shows up, and what folks think would be most helpful.

GROUP: Healthcare Education

Initial discussion:
DATE: July 25, 2008 (Friday)
TIME: 11am SLT / 2pm EDT
LOCATION: OSU Medicine

Hope to see some of you there!

 - Patricia Anderson (RL), [hidden email]
 - Perplexity "Lexi" Peccable (SL)

Info Island and libraries in Second Life this week

Lori Bell
Technical Skills for the Virtual World of Second Life:
Tuesday evening (6-8 PM SLT) classes are offered through University of Illinois Urbana Champagne and Alliance Virtual Library with Pipsqueak Fiddlesticks and HVX Silverstar :
Classes will include 4 evening sessions on Camera Controls, Machinima Workflow, Basic Building and Introduction to Scripting.

Audience: Open to anyone interested in improving their SL technical skills. Students should feel comfortable navigating in Second life or have taken Second Life 101. Dates and times: Tuesdays, August 5, 12, 19, and 26 from 6:00 - 8:00 PM SL (US Pacific) time
Location: Second Life
Cost: $150
For more information:
<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/programs/cpd/VW/tech.html" target=_blank>http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/programs/cpd/VW/tech.html

Planning for the Second Annual TSL College Fair is now underway!

What is it?  A College Fair held in the online world Teen Second Life.  The virtual environment will allow teens and representatives from colleges and universities from all over the world to interact with one another -- and no one needs to leave home!

The fair will be held Sunday, October 12, 2008.  9 AM SLT - 3 PM SLT.
See <A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://eye4youalliance.youthtech.info/?page_id=629" target=_blank>http://eye4youalliance.youthtech.info/?page_id=629 for more information.

We are looking for college representatives and speakers to participate.  If you are interested or would like more information please contact [hidden email] or [hidden email], or IM Alice Burgess or BlueWings Hayek on the main grid.  Contact us early because the background check and transfer to the teen grid takes time.  (No background check needed if you already have an avatar on the teen grid.)  Please also let us know if you are willing to place a poster on your island to promote the event.

Eye4You Alliance Island is sponsored by the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County.

The Sci-Fi & Fantasy Portal~

Unfortunately our Meet the Author event,
scheduled for this Saturday--7/26--
with Tristan Meriman is postponed
until Saturday, Sept. 27th. at 1 pm.

Our next Film Discussion will be
Saturday, August 2nd. at 1 pm.
Title:  Dr Strangelove
Hosts:  Symmetry Munro and Hawk Lightcloud
Our Film Discussions are always lively and intriguing.
 For more information, contact Franja Russell.

Shelter and Homeless Pets Exhibit Opens at Rainbow Gardens Pet
Memorial Center

Please join us on Sunday, August 10 at 11 am for the opening of a
Shelter and Homeless Pets Exhibit at Rainbow Gardens Pet Memorial
Center (Cybrary City ll (128, 12, 21). Selexia Aero of Pawprints
Animal Shelter will be guest speaker. Attendees may share stories
about the special shelter and homeless pets in their own lives. Pick
up a dog or cat t-shirt (4 designs offered) for L$5 to contribute to a
worthy cause.  For further details, contact Dulcie Mills.

Programs on Cybrary City
1.) So You Want a Library or Organization in Second Life:  A Practical Guide, Friday, August 1st 8:00 a.m. SLT.  Riven Homewood of the Alexandrian Library will be one of the presenters.  Participants will listen to practical advice, share experiences, & then tour a library.  Lots of time for Q & A.  Bring your questions.  Presentation in voice and text.

2.) Advanced Second Life Features & Gadgets:  A Potluck.  Wilbur Wood of LearningTimes.org will faciliate a sharing of our favorite advanced SL features on Thursday, August 7th, at 8:00 a.m. SLT AND 3:00 p.m. SLT.  Please bring your questions or favorite feature.  Presentation will be primarily in voice.  It is helpful to have the latest version of SL loaded.

3.) The Palestinian Librarian:  A View on Library Services in an Arab Place.  Palestinian Librarian Heyam Enzo will discuss librarianship in Gaza Strip, her experiences with opening a library in Second Life, and give a tour of her library on Cybrary City 1 on Wednesday, August 20th at 11:00 a.m. SLT.  Presentation will be a combination of voice and text.

For more information, contact Sonja Morgwain.

Alexandrian Free Library: Caledon Library events July 29 - Aug 5
Exhibit Opening, and conversation with the Curator
Sat, August 2, 12pm – 2pm
Jack & Elaine Whitehorn Memorial Library, Caledon VictoriaCity
<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://slurl.com/secondlife/Caledon%20VictoriaCity/52/203/23" target=_blank>http://slurl.com/secondlife/Caledon%20VictoriaCity/52/203/23

For our new exhibit "Augusta Ada Byron King – A Fairy in Your Corner"
August 1 – October 25th, 2008
Curated by Siri Woodget

"I can throw rays from every quarter of the universe into one vast focus"

Mesmerism, flying machines, Romantic verse and proto-computers.... Ada Byron (King), otherwise known as Lady Lovelace (1815-1852), stands at the intersection of Victorian art and science. Daughter of the renegade Lord Byron and his more numerically minded wife Annabella Milbanke, Ada was born with dual powers: her gift was to grasp and render mathematical theory with the immediacy of poetry.

Ada's deep friendship with the mathematician Charles Babbage -- designer of the steam-powered Difference and Analytical Engines -- placed her at the origins of the computer age, and her genius for metaphor translated his theories into terms accessible to the educated layman. Most famous for her notes on the Analytical Engine, which some say represent the first computer program, Ada was admired and courted by the great minds of the day, including Michael Faraday, the pioneer of electromagnetics, and Charles Dickens.

As a woman, an intellectual and a mathematician, Ada cuts a compelling figure. Although she died young, her contributions to the history of computer science are significant. Join us in a celebration of her unique contribution, and find out how a young Victorian woman became the First Lady of computer programming.