Invitation for Conversation

John Jamison-2
Hello everyone,

This is an invitation to join for some informal conversation about a learning topic I am involved in...to anyone who might be interested in sharing some ideas. This is not a "presentation" or "pitch", but an attempt to see if anyone would like to discuss ideas about the following...

For several years now, ImagiLearning has been working with our TranceFormational Learning(R) model to explore how to create more effective learning. That research and work led to the creation of a second project we call Long Life Learning(R). This has come from our work with a variety of learners who's real-world, personal lives have made it very difficult to be successful as a traditional learner. Many of these have been learners who live in locations that are filled with basic survival issues and needs, whether political, social, economic or basic family issues. These learners are capable, and have demonstrated that by their ability to adapt to their difficult surroundings. But, their experiences are far different than those of "traditional" learners, making it extremely difficult for them to find meaning in those traditional approaches.

Long Life Learning is an attempt to design and create learning activities that focus on the core issues that all learners need to master, but in a way that "makes sense" in the personal world of these learners. It involves attempting to understand the "world of the learner", and then design the activities using terms and experiences that are a part of that world.

One of the core goals of Long Life Learning is that we create learning that has direct impact in the current lives of learners, and helps them develop abilities and skills that can be immediately applied in their world...to not only improve learning, but to improve lives. In our vision, these efforts might be a resource that will lead to a richer, and longer life for our learners.

For example, right now we have been asked to explore the design of new learning activities in College Mathematics for incoming learners who have real abilities, but who's life experience in an urban setting have led to unsuccessful experiences in the classroom setting so far. These are learners who have a desire to create a career, but because of their life-situation have been unable to develop the life and academic skills needed for learning Math.

With that explanation, I would like to invite anyone who would be interested in talking about this idea of Long Life Learning, whether for this specific Math project, or for other subject areas, to get together for some conversation on Monday, August 8 at 9:00 AM SLT.

What: Informal Conversation about Long Life Learning.
When: Monday, August 8, 9:00 AM SLT.
Where: Second Life

If we're a small group, we'll meet at the ImagiLearning Beach
http://slurl.com/secondlife/imagiLEARNING%20West/220/161/22/

If we need more space, we'll move to the ImagiLearning Amphitheater
http://slurl.com/secondlife/imagiLEARNING/52/208/28/

Also, I will be using SL Voice.

Also, feel free to email me personally if you have interest but are unable to join me on Monday.

Thanks for your time!

John/VB

John Jamison, PhD.
[hidden email]
217.416.4506

Website

Scoop-It
http://www.scoop.it/t/imagilearning
http://www.scoop.it/t/old-time-radio

Skype: virtualbacon
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jjamison

Second Life
"Virtual Bacon"
http://slurl.com/secondlife/imagiLEARNING/189/72/1011/

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.”
― Albert Einstein

Re: Invitation for Conversation

Birdie Newborn
Interesting project. I have an appointment later in the morning, so may not stay if it runs too long.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 11:52 AM, John Jamison <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 ..oooO.........
 ...(....)...........
 ....)../...Oooo
 ...(_/.....(....)..
 .............)../....

If we're facing in the right direction,
all we have to do is keep on walking.

Birdie Newborn
www.bandannabooks.com

Re: Invitation for Conversation

John Jamison-2
Hi Birdie, thanks for responding.

I'm thinking 45 minutes to an hour will probably be it for tomorrow...maybe some future conversation if there is interest.

John