Need help to get participants for my research study

Need help to get participants for my research study

Nauman Saeed
**appologies for cross posting**

Hi folks,

Last month I announced (on Second Life educational mailing lists) to get
participants for my research study, which is about the acceptance of Second
Life (SL) in education. I have been offering 1500 lindens for a 15 minute
survey but still struggling to get the required number (100+) of responses,
only 54 responses received so far. Can anyone tell me about other places or
forums to post? Are 1500 lindens not enough for this kind of study? How can
I get more participants? Please share your experiences or suggest how to get
this thing going.
The target participants are students with atleast 4-6 months experience in
SL and the survey is available at:
http://mercury.it.swin.edu.au/nsaeed/TAM_SL/index.htm

Note: Thanks to those who already responded to our survey. We are in the
process of finalising payments and will post 1500 Lindens into your SL
accounts very soon.

Many thanks,

Nauman Saeed
Faculty of ICT
Swinburne Uni. Of Technology
Melbourne, Australia
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Need help to get participants for my research study

Nauman Saeed
Hi Paula,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I think you are right. All of us are in the learning phase and especially in
case of Second Life which is still preety new environment, we learn some thing
new evey day. Given this, most of the participants on this list could be the
target audience. Also, because this study mainly aims at analysing the
acceptance of SL in education, I believe almost every one here is somehow using
SL for teaching, learning or academic research.

I therefore request everyone on this list to participate in this study and feel
free to distribute among your students/colleagues/friends:
http://mercury.it.swin.edu.au/nsaeed/TAM_SL/index.htm

I'll be happy to share my study results with all of you, which aims at
predicting the significant factors behind the acceptance of SL in academic
settings.

Best regards,
-NS

Quoting Paula Christopher <[hidden email]>:

> I recall your post. Couple of thoughts.
>
> The money is more than enough. Quite generous in fact. Most surveys I have
> taken only pay 100-200 Lindens.
>
> You are asking for information from students during the summer. Campuses in
> the US are pretty much vacated from the end of Spring semester in May until
> Fall semester starts in August.
>
> Your target is limited to students. Are we not all students in some ways? I
> learn something new every day, from my peers, my co-workers, my children. I
> glanced at your survey and I feel that many of the participants on this
> listserv could give you excellent information.
>
> Just my $L2.  <smiles>
> Paula
> (aka Downtown Bloch)

> **appologies for cross posting**
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Last month I announced (on Second Life educational mailing lists) to get
> participants for my research study, which is about the acceptance of Second
> Life (SL) in education. I have been offering 1500 lindens for a 15 minute
> survey but still struggling to get the required number (100+) of responses,
> only 54 responses received so far. Can anyone tell me about other places or
> forums to post? Are 1500 lindens not enough for this kind of study? How can
> I get more participants? Please share your experiences or suggest how to
> get
> this thing going.
> The target participants are students with atleast 4-6 months experience in
> SL and the survey is available at:
> http://mercury.it.swin.edu.au/nsaeed/TAM_SL/index.htm
>
> Note: Thanks to those who already responded to our survey. We are in the
> process of finalising payments and will post 1500 Lindens into your SL
> accounts very soon.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Nauman Saeed
> Faculty of ICT
> Swinburne Uni. Of Technology
> Melbourne, Australia
> Email: [hidden email]

Re: [Slrl] Need help to get participants for my research study

Nauman Saeed
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for taking part in the survey and pointing out the typos and grammatical
errors. This is actually a pilot study for which we are expecting about 100

Kind regards,
-NS

Quoting Patricia F Anderson <[hidden email]>:

> Hello, Dr. Saeed,
>
> Per your suggestion, I did take the survey. I just wanted to comment that I
> found a number of typos and grammatical errors in the text. There were a
> few
> places where I suspected the intent of the question was different than what
> was actually asked. I would respectfully suggest considering the current
> crop of participants as a beta-run, revise the questionnaire based on
> feedback, and then rerun it a final time for actual data. This is a common
> process in surveys, as it is not at all unusual for a question to mean one
> thing to the researcher and something different to the target audience.
>
> I believe you are exploring an important and significant topic which will
> be
> of value to many of us. I am glad you are pursuing this.
>
> My best wishes!
>
>  - Patricia
>
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Nauman Saeed <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > **appologies for cross posting**
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Last month I announced (on Second Life educational mailing lists) to get
> > participants for my research study, which is about the acceptance of
> Second
> > Life (SL) in education. I have been offering 1500 lindens for a 15 minute
> > survey but still struggling to get the required number (100+) of
> > only 54 responses received so far. Can anyone tell me about other places
> or
> > forums to post? Are 1500 lindens not enough for this kind of study? How
> can
> > I get more participants? Please share your experiences or suggest how to
> > get
> > this thing going.
> > The target participants are students with atleast 4-6 months experience
> in
> > SL and the survey is available at:
> > http://mercury.it.swin.edu.au/nsaeed/TAM_SL/index.htm
> >
> > Note: Thanks to those who already responded to our survey. We are in the
> > process of finalising payments and will post 1500 Lindens into your SL
> > accounts very soon.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Nauman Saeed
> > Faculty of ICT
> > Swinburne Uni. Of Technology
> > Melbourne, Australia
> > Email: [hidden email]

> Patricia Anderson / SL: Perplexity Peccable
> [hidden email] OR [hidden email]
> Emerging Technologies Librarian, Health Sciences Libraries
> University of Michigan
> 1135 East Catherine
> Ann Arbor, MI 48109

RE: Need help to get participants for my research study

Landy, Pat
I thought your offer was reasonable.  I believe I participated, I hope so --  there are so many going on!  Timing may be some of the problem.

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

RE: Need help to get participants for my research study

Nauman Saeed
Thanks for your participation.

Regards,
-NS

Quoting "Landy, Pat" <[hidden email]>:

> I thought your offer was reasonable.  I believe I participated, I hope so --
> there are so many going on!  Timing may be some of the problem.

Josef Balbozar

Hello there,

I've also participated in the study - some of the questions were difficult
to answer. Best of luck!

Regards

Epernay Freschi

>> I thought your offer was reasonable.  I believe I participated, I hope
>> so --
>> there are so many going on!  Timing may be some of the problem.

Many thanks for your participation, Josef.

-nauman