Quantcast

Re: What kind of Bots do you want for education?

Re: What kind of Bots do you want for education?

Birdie Newborn
Fire --

 I hope that at some point you remember us Mac users...

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Fire in Korea <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very cool Douglas!

I spent some time over the weekend, putting together a rough draft of comands we could make the bot listen for
so you could program it for a tour in-world.

jonathan hunt  also set up a Sourceforge project for our educational bots project.

If you'd like to join, please go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/evdev

Please add me as a friend in SL - I'm Fire Centaur there

Thanks Douglas for replying, I'm in the process of setting up a source forge project where we can all share open source code using SVN (which, in case you are unfamiliar with, is for

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Paul Penfold <[hidden email]> wrote:
Paul

It's great that people like you are trying these things so we have a chance to explore and test the possibilities...keep going. We are also exploring the use of chatbots for meeting and greeting visitors to our virtual hotels in SL. Difficult to keep the front desk occupied with real people...so bots are a good option. We are working at intelligent programming so that the bots are able to at least hold a reasonably coherent conversation! It seems that they can also learn as we program them. We are testing them with students and they seem to really enjoy interacting with them. Not as good as a "human avatar", but maybe more responsive than some who have ignored me and run away!!
Well done
Paul

Paul Penfold
School of Hotel & Tourism Management
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
(852) 2766-4092 [hidden email]
Blog: http://penkyamp.blogspot.com
Wiki: http://shtmteacherswiki.pbwiki.com

>>> On 7/1/2008 at 4:03 PM, in message <[hidden email]>, "Fire in Korea" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am working on a few bots (Non-Human-Players) for English Village, using the libsl library, to aid visitors/students/teachers when they arrive.
--ie: tour bots, flash card bots, quiz bots etc.

I'd like your input though on what you think are must have features for bots for educators
If you could have any bot on your island, what would you need it to do, and what functionalities would you like it to have?

- remember, bots can do almost anything human avatars can do, but instead of being controlled by a person, the avatar is being controlled by another computer program. This means, it can
- connect to a database
- send instant messages
- reply to messages based on logic you define
- wear different outfits
- run, jump, play sound files, sit, play animations, rez items, read and write to notecards, respond to dialog boxes etc.

Let's here your ideas!

--
Paul Preibisch
Creative Director

--
Paul Preibisch
Creative Director

B3D Media Labs Ltd.
Seoul, South Korea
Facebook Second Life Link Application: http://www.facebook.com/applications/Second_Life_Link/10242435556
Skype: eslteacherlink.com
Second Life Id: Fire Centaur
English Village SLURL: http://slurl.com/secondlife/English%20Village/131/162/126/?x=500&y=500&img=http%3A//eslteacherlink.com/ev.jpg&title=English%20Village&

Facebook Groups:
Second Life for Educators: http://www.f8.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2387164946
Profile Page: http://www.f8.facebook.com/profile.php?id=627331676

..oooO.........
...(....)...........
....)../...Oooo
...(_/.....(....)..
.............)../....
............(_/.....

If we're facing in the right direction,
all we have to do is keep on walking.

Birdie Newborn
SL: Birdie Newcomb on Belle Isle
www.beachcollege.net

Re: What kind of Bots do you want for education?

Fire
Hey Birdie,

The bots I am working on, live on a webserver mostly, so should fair well with macs.

For the next two weeks though, I'll be in Vancouver visiting friends and family, then back to Korea.  I'm hoping to get more time in august to resume bot development!

 :)