Re: learning theory help, please.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: learning theory help, please.

Bob Heller
I would add Richard Meyer's (2001) book titled Multimedia Learning which is rooted somewhat in Paivio's dual coding  theory.
Bob

 Jeremy Kemp wrote:
Some keywords I'm looking at:

Amygdala theory
Captology
Social presence
Action-Oriented Research
Brain-Based Learning (Cain, Bransford)
Constructivism (Kolb, Dewey, Freire)
Cognitive Scaffolding - Brown?
Experiential - Donald Schon
Situative learning / learning in-situ (Lave, Greeno)
Behavioral (Skinner)
Transactional distance
Discourse analysis
Engagement
Flow

These are goldmines:

Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (1999).
Critical inquiry in a text-based environment: Computer
conferencing in higher education. The Internet and
Higher Education, 2(2-3), 87-105. Retrieved March 31,
2008 from
http://communitiesofinquiry.com/files/Critical_Inquiry_model.pdf

Dede, C., Bowman, C., Nelson, B., Clarke, J., &
Ketelhut, D. J. (2004b). Design-based research
strategies for studying situated learning in a
multi-user virtual environment. Paper presented at the
6th International Conference on Learning Sciences,
from
http://muve.gse.harvard.edu/rivercityproject/documents/dedeICLS04.pdf

Barab, S. A., Hay, K. E., Barnett, M., & Squire, K.
(2001). Constructing virtual worlds: Tracing the
historical development of learner practices. Cognition
and Instruction 19(1), 47-94. Retrieved December 19,
2007 from
http://inkido.indiana.edu/research/onlinemanu/papers/cogin.pdf

Bricken, M., & Byrne, C. M. (1992). Summer students in
virtual reality: A pilot study on educational
applications of virtual reality technology. Retrieved
December 19, 2007 from
http://www.hitl.washington.edu/projects/education/psc/psc.html

Dourish, P. (1998). Introduction: The State of Play.
Computer Supported Cooperative Work 7(1-2):1-7.
Retrieved December 19, 2007 from
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jpd/publications/mud-intro.html

--Jeremy Kemp



--- notmarian [hidden email] wrote:

  
Hi SLED--

Does anyone know of any examples of learning theory
in-world? I had this
question today from a faculty member who is taking
one of my beginner
workshops and I'm not really sure how to help her:

 "For my graduate course, I need to have examples of
how Second Life focuses
on learning theories, whether adults learn
differently from children and
what are the best conditions for learning. I need to
creatively talk about
the learning processes in Second Life."

Any advice appreciated. Thank you so much!

Denise Cote/Pipsqueak Fiddlesticks
    
_______________________________________________
      
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe

    
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
  


- Jeremy Kemp, M.Ed., M.S.J.
Assistant Director, SL Campus
SJSU School of Library & Information Science
(408) 393-5270 Cell, (408) 924-2466 Office
"SJSU SLIS" on the SL map
SL Avatar: Jeremy Kabumpo

Join SLED Builders!
http://lists.simteach.com/listinfo.cgi/sledbuilders-simteach.com
_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
  


-- 
Bob Heller, Associate Professor
Centre for Psychology
Athabasca University
Ph # 1 800 269 6948
Fax # 780 675-6186


_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: learning theory help, please.

Bob Heller
oops... Mayer, not Meyer

 Bob Heller wrote:
I would add Richard Meyer's (2001) book titled Multimedia Learning which is rooted somewhat in Paivio's dual coding  theory.
Bob


-- 
Bob Heller, Associate Professor
Centre for Psychology
Athabasca University
Ph # 1 800 269 6948
Fax # 780 675-6186


_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: learning theory help, please.

Larry Thomas
In reply to this post by Bob Heller
I will get RDS now.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.   B.F. Skinner

On Jul 22, 2008, at 1:34 PM, "Rick Stevens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

You might take a look at a learning and memory text and look for the effects of visual input on memory.  Look for something that cites Paivio and his dual process theory.  Also, mnemonic devices like the Method of Loci and related image-oriented mnemonics suggest that spatial location can have a big impact on recall.  SL is a place where you have good control over the spatial location of materials.  You can also find some literature on bizaare imagery vs. interactive imagery and their effects on memory. 

I don't know how you would address the adult-child issue in SL.  Most material that talks about learning styles (visual vs. verbal vs. tactile) are really only self-reported learning preferences and have no real connection to learning.  The people who report being visual (or whichever) do not actually do better when given information in their preferred way.  I'm not really up on the literature on child-adult memory differences.  It is possible that younger children use visual cues more and become more verbal-oriented as they get older.  However, that is just speculation on my part and it might only apply to children who are so young that it is unlikely that they even get to the Teen Grid.

One more bit of speculation...  Very young children have smaller short term memory spans.  With vebal info, if it isn't processed it is lost.  The persistance of visual information, as could be arranged in SL, might allow them to process what they could and then go back for more when the material presented was too much for one 'bite'.

RS


On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:07 PM, notmarian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi SLED--

Does anyone know of any examples of learning theory in-world? I had this question today from a faculty member who is taking one of my beginner workshops and I'm not really sure how to help her:

 "For my graduate course, I need to have examples of how Second Life focuses on learning theories, whether adults learn differently from children and what are the best conditions for learning. I need to creatively talk about the learning processes in Second Life."

Any advice appreciated. Thank you so much!

Denise Cote/Pipsqueak Fiddlesticks

_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators




--
Rick Stevens
Psychology Department
University of Louisiana at Monroe
[hidden email]
SL - Evert Snook
_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators

_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: learning theory help, please.

Clare Atkins
In reply to this post by Bob Heller
Hi Denise,

NMIT in New Zealand has been proud to host Zotarah Shepherd's build about Gardner's Multiple Intelligences Theory on their island Koru.
I blogged a little about it here
http://arwennastardust.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/multiple-intelligences-zotarah-shepherd/
and if you would like to visit, the slurl is
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Koru/58/212/0

Hope you have time for a visit.
Clare
aka Arwenna Stardust
============================


If it's along the track of what you're looking for, Zotorah Shephard created something similar a couple months ago as well. 

-Catherine Dutton
(SL: Catherine Soderstrom/Lishi Nishi)




_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: learning theory help, please.

notmarian
Thank you to everyone who responded. My fellow faculty member and I are just scampering in all of this information!
Denise

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Clare Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Denise,

NMIT in New Zealand has been proud to host Zotarah Shepherd's build about Gardner's Multiple Intelligences Theory on their island Koru.
I blogged a little about it here
http://arwennastardust.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/multiple-intelligences-zotarah-shepherd/
and if you would like to visit, the slurl is
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Koru/58/212/0

Hope you have time for a visit.
Clare
aka Arwenna Stardust
============================



If it's along the track of what you're looking for, Zotorah Shephard created something similar a couple months ago as well. 

-Catherine Dutton
(SL: Catherine Soderstrom/Lishi Nishi)




_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators



_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
Loading...