Space Navigator 3d

Keith Mitchell
I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came
out, but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.
Which of course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very fun
and would love to explore with any other users in the group the best
way to apply it.  The device especially makes  flying a much more
controlled event, though I had to disable my flight assist HUD to keep
the controller from being to sensitive.  I haven't even ready the
directions yet, but discovered by trial and error that if I click the
left button, I was put into a  remote 3d camera mode, as if I was alt
control dragging a mouse to move my camera view around remotely in all
3 directions. But unlike when using the alt control click drag mode, I
did not seem to need to specify a focus object.  The controller just
let me fly anywhere in a smooth controlled flow while at the same time
looking in any direction!.  It was a pretty amazing out of body
experience.  In the end, I was getting dizzy because the view moved so
rapidly in all dimensions.    My first try at using the controller to
assist building was not a very positive thing ;-) if anyone masters
that, share a work flow that I can try!

In any case, for the ease of navigation around a sim alone, I think
this is a good investment for you SL experience now that it has
director support by SL.

https://3dconnexionstore.com/itemDetail.asp?itmNo=56826423N

Let me know if you are or become a user and what works for you.  I am
thinking that  optimizing the many parameters in the preferences panel
may make the device even more fun.

Keith  aka Larry Klugman from UT Austin

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Patio Plasma
HI Keith

I've been using my space navigator for a month.

Even though I'm right handed I learned to use it with my left hand.

That leaves my right hand free to type or mouse.

Patio

On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Keith Mitchell wrote:

> I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came
> out, but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.
> Which of course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very fun
> and ...

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Nanci Burk
Hi Keith,

I also bought the 3D Space Navigator and realize there is a learning curve to using it.  I find myself using the arrows (habit) still and have to remember to use the Space Navigator.  It only works on Macs w/ the Beta Release Viewer.  I've had few issues w/ the newest Release Viewer.....a few crashes & frozen screens (typical SL issues).

I can see real value in the 3D SN for builders, designers, etc. even if I'm still acclimating to it.

NB

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Keith Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nanci Burk, Ph.D.
Dept. of Communication
Glendale Community College
Glendale, AZ 84304

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Keith Mitchell
Yes it my understanding that I should expect it to replace all the
things I do with a mouse.
Keith
On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Patio Plasma wrote:

> HI Keith
>
> I've been using my space navigator for a month.
>
> Even though I'm right handed I learned to use it with my left hand.
>
> That leaves my right hand free to type or mouse.
>

> Patio
>

> On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Keith Mitchell wrote:
>
>> I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came
>> out, but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.
>> Which of course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very fun
>> and ...

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Josef Balbozar

Hello there,

My Space Navigator has been in use for two days now with the latest 1.20
version of SL - it seems to generate interference with the estate audio
channel when in use - is there a way around this problem? Please let me know
of similar experiences and possible solutions. Otherwise a joy to use!

Regards

Epernay Freschi

> Yes it my understanding that I should expect it to replace all the  things
> I do with a mouse.
> Keith
> On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Patio Plasma wrote:
>
>> HI Keith
>>
>> I've been using my space navigator for a month.
>>
>> Even though I'm right handed I learned to use it with my left hand.
>>
>> That leaves my right hand free to type or mouse.
>>

>> Patio
>>

>> On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Keith Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came  out,
>>> but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.    Which of
>>> course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very fun  and ...

RE: Space Navigator 3d

jim.daugherty
It supplements keyboard actioms for directional control, it does not replace the mouse.

Yes it my understanding that I should expect it to replace all the
things I do with a mouse.
Keith
On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Patio Plasma wrote:

> HI Keith
>
> I've been using my space navigator for a month.
>
> Even though I'm right handed I learned to use it with my left hand.
>
> That leaves my right hand free to type or mouse.
>

> Patio
>

> On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Keith Mitchell wrote:
>
>> I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came
>> out, but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.
>> Which of course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very fun
>> and ...

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Martin Leamon
Hi Keith,

Space Navigator unfortunately does not replace a mouse.  You
still need the rodent to point and click (menus etc.) and
the mouse wheel to zoom in and out of mouse look.

Martin

-- (full signature below)

On 7/26/2008 1:00 PM, Keith Mitchell wrote:

> Yes it my understanding that I should expect it to replace all the
> things I do with a mouse.
> Keith
> On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Patio Plasma wrote:
>
>> HI Keith
>>
>> I've been using my space navigator for a month.
>>
>> Even though I'm right handed I learned to use it with my left hand.
>>
>> That leaves my right hand free to type or mouse.
>>

>> Patio
>>

>> On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Keith Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came
>>> out, but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.
>>> Which of course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very fun
>>> and ...
Martin Leamon, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
University of California, Davis

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Keith Mitchell
I should proof my typing before sending, i meant to say does "not" replace a mouse, sorry for the confusion.   Have found the following online resources to learn more about Space Navigator and SL to share:

YouTube Intro

Wiki Discussion

Flycam Mode

And I should mention that the thing "looks" cool and grabs everyone's attention when they walk into my computer room.
Keith

On Jul 27, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Martin Leamon wrote:

Hi Keith,

Space Navigator unfortunately does not replace a mouse.  You still need the rodent to point and click (menus etc.) and the mouse wheel to zoom in and out of mouse look.

Martin

RE: audio books in SL libraries?

Denise Wood-2
Hi everyone

Does anyone know if there are any libraries or services in SL that
provide visually impaired users with access to audio books? I met
someone who is a regular in SL but  is legally blind and she is hoping
there might be a library somewhere in SL that provides that facility.

Thanks

Denise

Dr Denise Wood
Program Director (Media Arts)
Teaching and Learning Portfolio Leader
School of Communication
University of South Australia
St Bernards Rd, Magill, SA, 5072
Ph: 61 8 83024642 |Fax: 61 8 8302 4745
Web: http://people.unisa.edu.au/Denise.Wood
CRICOS provider # 00121B

Secondlife slurl: http://slurl.com/secondlife/UnivSA/178/234/23
Second Life: AKA Denlee Wobbit | Skype name: denlee5025
n/mailman/listinfo/educators

RE: audio books in SL libraries?

Rolig

Yes.  Visit the new library on Illumination Island.  That's a new sim -- find it in your Map -- on the Alliance Information Archipelago. It's an amazing library -- the neset part of the Alliance Virtual Library.

Rolig

Quoting Denise Wood <[hidden email]>:

> Hi everyone
>
> Does anyone know if there are any libraries or services in SL that
> provide visually impaired users with access to audio books? I met
> someone who is a regular in SL but  is legally blind and she is hoping
> there might be a library somewhere in SL that provides that facility.
>
> Thanks
>
> Denise
>
> Dr Denise Wood
> Program Director (Media Arts)
> Teaching and Learning Portfolio Leader
> School of Communication
> University of South Australia
> St Bernards Rd, Magill, SA, 5072
> Ph: 61 8 83024642 |Fax: 61 8 8302 4745
> Web: http://people.unisa.edu.au/Denise.Wood
> CRICOS provider # 00121B
>
> Secondlife slurl: http://slurl.com/secondlife/UnivSA/178/234/23
> Second Life: AKA Denlee Wobbit | Skype name: denlee5025
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=709371922
> n/mailman/listinfo/educators

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Larry Havenstein
I have had mixed luck building with the Space Navigator.  I love using it for work with Microprims but when I
close the edit menu it throws my camera way off in the boonies.   Hitting ESC a couple of times brings me back
but its annoying.

What I do live the Space Navigator for is Photos, Shoping, and Machinima.   It is a very smooth and responsive
flycam for Machinima.

On 26 Jul 2008 at 7:47, Keith Mitchell wrote:

> I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came
> out, but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.
> Which of course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very fun
> and would love to explore with any other users in the group the best
> way to apply it.  The device especially makes  flying a much more
> controlled event, though I had to disable my flight assist HUD to keep
>  the controller from being to sensitive.  I haven't even ready the
> directions yet, but discovered by trial and error that if I click the
> left button, I was put into a  remote 3d camera mode, as if I was alt
> control dragging a mouse to move my camera view around remotely in all
>  3 directions. But unlike when using the alt control click drag mode,
> I  did not seem to need to specify a focus object.  The controller
> just  let me fly anywhere in a smooth controlled flow while at the
> same time  looking in any direction!.  It was a pretty amazing out of
> body  experience.  In the end, I was getting dizzy because the view
> moved so  rapidly in all dimensions.    My first try at using the
> controller to  assist building was not a very positive thing ;-) if
> anyone masters  that, share a work flow that I can try!
>
> In any case, for the ease of navigation around a sim alone, I think
> this is a good investment for you SL experience now that it has
> director support by SL.
>
> https://3dconnexionstore.com/itemDetail.asp?itmNo=56826423N
>
> Let me know if you are or become a user and what works for you.  I am
> thinking that  optimizing the many parameters in the preferences panel
>  may make the device even more fun.
>
> Keith  aka Larry Klugman from UT Austin

 <Larry>++

 Larry Havenstein
  System Engineer & Technical Support Manager
  Information & Educational Technology
  Department of Communications
  K-State Research & Extension
  Kansas State University
   (785) 532-6270

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Larry Havenstein
I find I use it, mouse, and keyboard.   They all have advantages.   I find walking with the Space Navigator a bit
odd but flying is much better than with the keyboard.

On 26 Jul 2008 at 14:00, Keith Mitchell wrote:

> Yes it my understanding that I should expect it to replace all the
> things I do with a mouse. Keith On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Patio
> Plasma wrote:
>
> > HI Keith
> >
> > I've been using my space navigator for a month.
> >
> > Even though I'm right handed I learned to use it with my left hand.
> >
> > That leaves my right hand free to type or mouse.
> >

> > Patio
> >

> > On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Keith Mitchell wrote:
> >
> >> I bought the Space Navigator 3d  USB controller when it first came
> >> out, but have been waiting until non beta version of SL came out.
> >>  Which of course just happened.  My first whirl with it was very
> >> fun  and ...

 <Larry>++

 Larry Havenstein
  System Engineer & Technical Support Manager
  Information & Educational Technology
  Department of Communications
  K-State Research & Extension
  Kansas State University
   (785) 532-6270

Re: Space Navigator 3d

Ai Austin
I have found the Space Navigator really good to use for smooth shots
in flycam mode.... by clicking the left button. Here is a short video
of a balloon tour over the Virtual University of Edinburgh (Vue) in
Second Life done in a single pass with the Space Navigator 3d:

      http://media.aiai.ed.ac.uk/Project/Vue/2008-08-01-Vue-Tour-768x576.mov

The server in use temporarily does not have very high capacity, so
download to your disk if it does not play smoothly.

I have found that when walking forward though it is too easy to go a
little "off axis" and squat down - presumably because I am slanting
down on the controller a bit too much when moving forward..  Can
anyone suggest a way to turn off squatting, or desensitize the relevant axis?