Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Sere Timeless
Friendly Greetings!

We are conducting a survey to give Linden Lab a prioritized list of features/characteristics that are important and necessary to educators in the "next generation" virtual world platform the Lab is currently developing.  We intend to forward a rank-ordered list of priorities to Linden Lab based on the aggregated rankings provided by everyone who takes this survey.  Your response would be appreciated, and it will take just a few minutes of your time.

Here is a link to the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZJR7N3K

If you have educator friends who have been active in SL and might wish to express an opinion, please forward this email or the link to the survey to them.

We will collate the responses early on Monday, December 1, so please take a few minutes to complete the survey before then.

Thanks for your participation!

Serenek Timeless (SL)/Kathy Spoehr (RL)

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Vicki Robinson
I took the survey, but I'm curious as to whether LL has expressed any interest in knowing the results, or is this purely an outside-LL initiative that they can simply say "Oh thanks!" and then ignore?

Vick

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Sere Timeless <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Associate Professor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
LBJ-2263
Rochester Institute of Technology

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Granaas, Michael
I have not taken the survey.  I see no hint that LL has any interest in the results, nor do I see any suggestion that an IRB has approved the survey.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

DrDoug Pennell
Why would an IRB have to approve a survey designed to give feedback to LL?

Doug Danforth
SL: DrDoug Pennell

On Nov 25, 2014, at 6:09 PM, Granaas, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have not taken the survey.  I see no hint that LL has any interest in the results, nor do I see any suggestion that an IRB has approved the survey.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Chris Newman
I've done the survey but would like to know a) who's "we", and b) on what do you base the list of answer options?

Chris

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

On 26 Nov 2014, at 7:52 am, Sere Timeless <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Research that comes from academic institutions in the U.S. is generally required to have informed consent and IRB approval.  Since this is an educational forum it is reasonable to guess that the survey request comes from someone with an academic affiliation.

It is also common, at least in the U.S., for professional survey solicitors to identify their affiliation.

Since we are never informed of the affiliation of the individual conducting the survey we have no means to judge its legitimacy.  Is this an individual who has been asked/contracted by LL to gather this information?  If so they should tell us.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Kim FLINTOFF
Srsly?  Members of this list are incapable of searching for Kathy’s affiliation and credentials?

Advocacy action doesn’t really require all the formality of an ethics review does it?

I love the initiative and forthright action Kathy has demonstrated.

Cheers

Kim Flintoff
BA, Grad Dip Ed, M.Ed, MACE, MACEL
(AUC, AAEEBL, HETL, ISOC, ISSOTL, ISTE, WAIER, PIE, HEVGA)
Academic Engagement Developer (Strategic Innovations for Learning Engagement) | Curtin Teaching and Learning| DVC Education
Coordinator of the Australian gateway to UNEP-DHI Eco Challenge 2015 | Curtin Teaching and Learning

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Granaas, Michael
I searched. I found.  So what?

It is not my obligation as a (potential) research participant to go searching the web trying to determine whether someone is a legitimate researcher or a student desperate to finish a term paper.  The researcher is obligated to introduce themselves and indicate to the potential subjects who they are and, to the extent possible, what they are asking from the subject.

The "what they are asking" seems to be covered in the introductory comments.  But what about the rest?  As another poster pointed out we have no idea whether LL is even aware of this research or will pay attention to it.

If folks want to argue that this work is somehow not "research" and therefore exempt from IRB review and informed consent I am all ears.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Grizzla Pixelmaid (aka Chris Robinson)
Hi Serenek -

I couldn't get the survey to work using Firefox. As soon as I tried to click one of the items, it automatically prioritized the list 1-10 (with the first item being 1, the last item being 10) - and it would not allow me to change the rankings.

Just thought you would want to know!

Grizzla

Chris Robinson
Virtual Assistant
Office of Educational Technology
Georgia Gwinnett College
678-407-5433

Second Life: Grizzla Pixelmaid

“I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.”

~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

[...]

There are plenty of folks on this list who are not from institutions of higher education with IRBs. The list is open to anyone with an interest in using SL for education.

There is absolutely no requirement to get IRB approval to create a survey asking for anyone's opinion.  There is nothing in the original email suggesting this is a research project of any kind.

It's a questionnaire asking for feedback to help LL know what "educators" think is important for SL. If you don't want to offer your opinion then pass, but don't cast aspersions on it because you are mad at LL and think they don't care about the results.

Doug Danforth

On Nov 25, 2014, at 10:06 PM, Granaas, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

First: I am not mad at LL about anything related to this study.  I have absolutely NO opinion about LL as related to this study.  Nor should I because as far as any of us can tell LL is completely and totally unaware of this study.  How can I possibly be mad at LL for something they are unware of?

I would be delighted to learn that I am wrong and that the individual(s) conducting this study actually have some sort of official connection to LL and that the results will come to the attention of someone in LL.

But there is nothing in the solicitation that suggests any official connection with LL.

Second; If you are employed as an educator in the U.S. you are almost certainly covered by U.S. laws requiring review of research involving human subjects.  Large colleges and universities have formal IRBs.  Smaller colleges will likely have the VP of something or other acting as their human subjects protection officer.  For K - 12 it is usually an administrator, such as the superintendent, or possibly the school board.

If you live outside the U.S. you live under different laws.  However it does not take long to find that major European universities have IRBs, so I expect that there are formal laws in those countries, but it is possible that the Universities are acting on their own to protect human subjects.

In the absence of laws, professional organizations for people who regularly conduct human research frequently have ethical standards that need to be adhered to by members of the organization.

Or, perhaps, you thought I was suggesting that those wishing to respond needed IRB approval.   If that's what it sounded like I was saying, I apologize.  The only persons who need approval are the research team conducting the research.  Those responding are free to respond, or not, as they

Is it research?  A great deal of research is done using surveys and asking people their opinions about something.  So it looks like research.  The absence of the word "research" in the solicitation does not mean it can't be research, only that the email was written without using the word "research."

As structured it does not appear to be intended to lead to journal publication, but plenty of research is done in which folks produce white papers or tech reports.

When I click through to a survey--and I click through to a lot of them--I expect the opening sentence to give me, in general terms, an idea of who is conducting the survey.  Whether it is a lone doctoral student, a lab group, or a temporary committee of concerned educators it should be stated.

When product feedback is being generated I expect some, at least vague, assurance that the results will be read by someone at the company being evaluated.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: Survey on Needed Features for Educators in Linden Lab's Next Generation Virtual World

Wahl, Lori (lwahl@uidaho.edu)
Carefully look at the items as you click the first rank.  I made the same assumption until I read each item clearly.  The item that you are clicking on to rank, shifts into the position you have selected and Survey Monkey reorders the rest.
Lori/Diantha

Lori Wahl
Instructor
Clothing, Textiles, and Design
School of Family and Consumer Sciences
University of Idaho
office: Niccolls Bldg. 200
mobile: 503.913.3658
SL: Diantha Petrov
Skype: lori_wahl

On Nov 25, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Sere Timeless <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Lori

Yes, that's how it is intended to work. Oddly, I couldn't get it to do that using Firefox. I just wanted to let Sere know that browser issues could affect participation.

Best,
Grizzla

On Sunday, November 30, 2014, Wahl, Lori ([hidden email]) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Carefully look at the items as you click the first rank.  I made the same assumption until I read each item clearly.  The item that you are clicking on to rank, shifts into the position you have selected and Survey Monkey reorders the rest.
Lori/Diantha

Lori Wahl
Instructor
Clothing, Textiles, and Design