Update on the Educator VW Priority List Survey

Update on the Educator VW Priority List Survey

Sere Timeless

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you to so many of you who have taken the time to complete the Educator VW Priority List survey so far.  It will continue to be available until 9:00 a.m. SLT on Monday, December 1.

  1. This survey did not meet my institution’s definition of “research” and hence did not even qualify for review by our IRB.
  2. Given that there is no institutional responsibility for or endorsement of the survey,  I cannot ethically imply its participation or endorsement by attaching my institution’s name to either the survey or the SLED post.  I am collecting opinion as an individual and not as an institutional representative.
  3. I apologize if you would like to complete the survey but your browser isn’t cooperating.  I can’t do anything to fix the way SurveyMonkey’s interacts with various web browsers.  My only suggestion is that you try a different browser.
  4. I am not, nor have I ever been employed by Linden Lab.  I am not a consultant for Linden Lab, either paid or unpaid.  I have no desire to ever be paid in any capacity by Linden Lab.   I would just like to see Linden Lab build a product that would be useful to educators, one that my institution might actually care about and use in the future.
  5. I don’t know whether Linden Lab will meet our needs as educators with its new platform.  I do know that if we don’t tell them what our needs are, the chance of their doing so is vanishingly small because none of them are career educators.  And if we keep our needs a closely guarded trade secret during their design process, we’ll have neither any credibility lodging complaints nor much chance of effecting change once the product sees the light of day.
  6. For those of you who have inquired, either through this forum or by personal email, about the history of this initiative, let me give you the following information:
    • When the new Linden Lab CEO, Ebbe Altberg (Ebbe Linden, SL) made it known early last summer that LL was going to develop a new virtual world platform, the sketchy details he provided raised concerns for me, and for about a dozen other SL educators with whom I am friendly, that the new product might not be very useful for education.
    • One of our group had a personal connection to Linden Lab’s Director of Community Relations, and through that connection we were able to set up a private discussion last July (inworld at a private, Linden-controlled, restricted region) between about 15 of us educators and Ebbe Linden.  With the consent of all participants, the discussion was captured on video and has been publicly posted since mid-July here.  At least one blogger has transcribed and published the text of that discussion here.
    •  Ebbe Altberg appears to be much more interested in the needs of his customers, including educators, than previous Linden Lab CEOs.  For example, a few weeks after our initial discussion, Mr. Altberg attended an inworld forum about LL’s new platform sponsored by the Nonprofit Commons (transcript posted here).   Just a few weeks ago the founding moderator of the Virtual Worlds Educational Roundtable, AJ Brooks, solicited input through his inworld group about educator needs in preparation for a meeting he was going to attend with Mr. Altberg.  I think we should encourage this kind of behavior in a LL CEO by giving him good information in a civilized manner rather than kvetching all the time.
    • Over the past few months I have attended at least ten meetings (I’ve lost track of the exact number) with different educators and representatives of non-profits, all devoted to the topic of educator needs in a next-generation virtual world.  The items on my survey are the things that have been mentioned consistently in those discussions.
7.  If you have a principled objection to participating in a survey of this nature, then don’t.   I’m aware that the number of educators I’ve met in all those meetings I’ve attended is but a small fraction of all educators who have used or now are using Second Life for teaching.  My intention in posting the survey to SLED is merely to give a larger number of educators the opportunity to express an anonymous opinion.

8.  Finally,  if my educator friends and I were able get Mr. Altberg to meet inworld with us, I’m sure we can get the results of this survey into his hands.  That’s what I intend to do even though I have no idea what he will do with the information.

Sere Timeless

Re: Update on the Educator VW Priority List Survey

Sharon Collingwood-2
Thanks for all the hard work, Sere.

Let’s hope they listen.

On Nov 28, 2014, at 2:44 PM, Sere Timeless <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dr. Sharon Collingwood
Department of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies
The Ohio State University
286 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1311

Blog: Exploring the Virtual Classroom

Second Life, Open Sim, Twitter: Ellie Brewster

Feminist Cyberspaces: Pedagogies in Transition

Virtual Worlds in Education Wiki: http://www.vwed.org

Re: Update on the Educator VW Priority List Survey

Chris Newman
Thanks for your excellent response Sere, certainly answered my questions. Putting it in this context, really important stuff and I appreciate the initiative particularly from someone who has a connection with LL. I especially agree with point number 5 so keep up the good work!

Chris (Cheery Meriman) Newman

Sent from my iPad

On 29 Nov 2014, at 5:44 am, Sere Timeless <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Paul Rudman-2
The one thing I would be looking for is that a new system can be used through institutional firewalls. This basically means a web-based interface/viewer. The need to open ports is a major problem for many institutions.
Paul

Dr Paul Rudman MBPsS
Research Associate, Institute of Learning Innovation,
University of Leicester,
106 New Walk,
Leicester, LE1 7EA

On 28 November 2014 at 19:44, Sere Timeless <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Anne C Smith

Yes, that would be excellent, Paul!

Kind Regards,

Anne

Re: Update on the Educator VW Priority List Survey

Granaas, Michael
Thank you for responding

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: Update on the Educator VW Priority List Survey

Liz Falconer
Great idea to collect educator views Sere and thanks for your commitment and hard work. Absolutely agree about firewalls Paul!
Cheers
Liz

Sent from my iPhone