VWER today at 11.30 SLT discussing "TEL initiatives: what works for learners?"

VWER today at 11.30 SLT discussing "TEL initiatives: what works for learners?"

Sheila Webber
Today's (27 August) regular Virtual Worlds Education Roundtable discussion in text chat discussion at 11:30slt is "TEL initiatives: what works for learners?"

Which Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) initiative has worked for you the best in terms of student acceptance and use, and why do you think that is? Please come with examples of any TEL, not just virtual worlds. We would like to discuss the factors that led to the success of initiatives, and also would welcome stories of failures!

Moderator: Sheila Webber (Shjeila Yoshikawa in SL)

Hope to see you at 11:30amSLT / 2:30pmET / 7:30pmUK in Second Life at

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Glasgow%20Caledonian/193/197/23

Women's Suffrage in New York State - 2017 Centennial Opportunity

Mary-Carol
Good day,

South Central Regional Library Council (SCRLC), located in Ithaca, NY (www.scrlc.org) has been supporting Renaissance Island in Second Life since 2009. Ren is still going strong, thanks to the efforts of a very dedicated group of volunteers.

We have a new, three-year long opportunity to develop another island focused on Women's Suffrage, thanks to a generous donation. The New York State centennial is 2017; nationwide in the US it is 2020.  Many SCRLC member libraries participate in NewYorkHeritage.org, which contributes objects to the Digital Public Library of America, and this next year the digital emphasis will be on suffrage. There is an opportunity for educational programs, exhibits, storytelling, music, etc. to be held in Second Life.

At this point, we are looking for librarians and educators located  in New York State already involved in virtual environments who might be interested in participating in this Second Life initiative. Suffrage is a world-wide process, happening in different places at different times, and so we will also want to have a broader perspective than only NYS.  To ensure we stay within our mission, we do need at least some New York State involvement (and hopefully from SCRLC members, as well!).  Emoji

Perhaps there are other historical sims in Second Life already working on or presenting the issue of suffrage-we would love to collaborate as much as possible if we move forward with this initiative.

Thank you for your thoughts, suggestions, and potential participation!

Best regards,

Mary-Carol Lindbloom/Korrigan Keynes

Re: Women's Suffrage in New York State - 2017 Centennial Opportunity

Sharon Collingwood-2
Hi Mary-Carol,

I have some suffragist things from my LEA Grant exhibit on the Bread and Roses Strike of 1912. They might fit in, and I’d be happy to help out.

Dr. Sharon Collingwood
Department of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies
The Ohio State University
286 University Hall, 230 North Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1311

Blog: Exploring the Virtual Classroom

Second Life, Open Sim: Ellie Brewster
Twitter: @EllieBrewster

Feminist Cyberspaces: Pedagogies in Transition