Quantcast

Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

twu

Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

twu

Re: Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

Eloise Pasteur
Whilst it is a valid question, and there are student blogs out there (although I might not point them out to Prok), I would also ask where are the student blogs about their education outside of SL?

Should we expect students in SL to behave differently to students in RL about their blogging habits? If you search for any education blogs, they're also predominantly by the instructors in my experience too.

El.

Re: Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

Lisa Dawley
I'll chime in and make an observation.  Many of the "students" in SL
currently ARE instructors.  That is, we have a plethora of educators
trying to figure out how to use SL in their teaching.  Because we
emphasize teacher professional development in our program, for example,
our grad students are typically K-12 or college instructors.  Many of
them keep blogs.  So perhaps what you are noticing is the current state
of the state of virtual world use in education....

Lisa Dawley, Ph.D.
Professor & Chair
Department of Educational Technology
Boise State University
208-426-5430  W
208-426-1451  Fax
http://edtech.boisestate.edu

On 24 Jul 2008, at 16:08, [hidden email] wrote:

> At the Metaverse Meetup, held at Global Kids yesterday on 7/23/08, I
> was asked this question by Mr. Prokofy Neva,
>
> "Where are the student blogs on Second Life".
>
> I realized that the blogs on SL in education have been predominately
> by instructors.  I believe this to be a good question and
> significant.  Does this question not address an issue?
>
> Theodore Ubhaus
> Information Systems
> Berkeley College_______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe

http://educationaldesigns.eloisepasteur.net/
http://eloisepasteur.net/blog/

RE: Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

Gavin Dudeney

Theodore,

I didn’t know Prok’s thing was education, per se. Is he going to be joining us on the SLED list? And yes, where are all the student blogs? When I observed Intellagirl’s classes about 18 months back her learners kept blogs of a kind and they were fascinating. I haven’t heard of any other projects.

Gavin

From [hidden email]
Subject: [SLED] Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

At the Metaverse Meetup, held at Global Kids yesterday on 7/23/08, I was asked this question by Mr. Prokofy Neva,

"Where are the student blogs on Second Life".

I realized that the blogs on SL in education have been predominately by instructors.  I believe this to be a good question and significant.  Does this question not address an issue?

Re: Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

Cathy Arreguin
Student blogs? Or student blogging?

Two different things.

Class mandated student blogs? or "Just because I wanted to talk about my education experiences in SL" blogs?

Adult or higher ed learners? or Teen learners?

Already a blogger? or Never blogged before?

A lot of factors that might shed light on Prokofy's question.

However, for extensive student blogging on Teen Second Life related education experiences, go to the Global Kids blog, www.holymeatballs.org.

Global Kids places a very high emphasis on student blogging.  However, in this case, because of various factors (not all students have computers outside the program, for example), all student blogging is done within the holymeatballs blog - rather than in the context of student created blogs.

It's an interesting question, actually.  Bblogging of any sort takes time. Voluntary (vs. class mandated) blogging entails certain motivations that students may not have.  Lastly, some younger students may see their MySpace or Facebook as enough of a blogging-type experience for them.

Good question by Prok!

Cathy

Cathy Arreguin, MA, Educational Technology
Instructor: SDSU, EDTEC700: 3D MultiUser Learning Environments
Instructional Technology * Educational Media * Virtual Instruction

Re: Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

Cynthia Duprey

I will be teaching a course at the high school level come September on Virtual Worlds. To that end, I've my own blog that I'm using for accountablilty purposes (my district wants to know what I'm doing with their funds and time), but I've also set up a wiki (VERY much under construction as of yet) that both the kids and I will use as the year goes by to record 1) what we do and 2) opinions about what-all is going on. Feel free to take a look at both. If you have suggestions or comments on either...I'm open to both!

Cindy

RE: Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

Miller, John
My nursing students blog about various things, including short ones about Second Life small group fieldtrips.  See the links off my blog, http://jsvavoom.blogspot.com.

Thanks,
John

John Miller RN, MN, Nursing Faculty
Tacoma Community College 6501 South 19th Street Office 9-63 Tacoma, WA 98466
Phone 253.566.5263; Cell 253.820.7115
Email; [hidden email];  Web and Blog: http://www.tacomacc.edu/home/jmiller/index.htm
At the Metaverse Meetup, held at Global Kids yesterday on 7/23/08, I was asked this question by Mr. Prokofy Neva,

"Where are the student blogs on Second Life".

I realized that the blogs on SL in education have been predominately by instructors.  I believe this to be a good question and significant.  Does this question not address an issue?
<http://gamedev.meetup.com/153/calendar/8359764/>
Theodore Ubhaus
Information Systems
Berkeley College

winmail.dat (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Where are the student blogs on Second Life?

BCKing
That's a ton of good questions. The point about lots of SL students
being educators is also really valid and, I think, largely accurate
outside of the Teen Grid.

I'm taking Esme's Teaching and Learning in Virtual Worlds course
(announced on this list earlier in the year), which uses Moodle and SL.
Many (perhaps most) of the students are also instructors, generally in
K-12. We have mandated blogs, and some of the students use the Moodle
blog tool, but several of us went with WordPress or Blogger. Some of us
have gone beyond blogging just about class; mine has become more of a
general-purpose blog. To what extent is that a "student blog"? I'm a
grad student anyway, so I don't know how to answer that. But not all of
my posts are about school or class; at the same time, there's an
educational (or at least reflective thinking) aspect to some of the
non-school posts.

Not an answer, just some thinking out loud.
--
(Mr.) Bola C. King
PhD Student, Department of English