Would you consider advising students NOT to go to college?

Would you consider advising students NOT to go to college?

Any Gynoid
Dear Educators,

Very thought provoking article in the NY Times today:
"The Misguided Priorities of Our Educational System"
by Oren Cass, Author of the book "The Once and Future Worker", 2018

Oren is a book/opinion writer and works for the Manhattan Institute (conservative think tank), but to me his ideas sound leftist. Most surprising: When you read the reader comments... their responses are stunning for their thoughtfulness and lack of political animus (i.e. politicization that we have in most other forums in America).

Anyways, please check it out; I found his approach very pragmatic. I like that his article challenges the College Prep assumption built into our primary/secondary public schools systems.

May your 2019 be a substantial improvement over our nation's  2016-2018 misadventures! Celebrate today, December 10th! UN Day for Human Rights! Cheers!
-- Any

Re: Would you consider advising students NOT to go to college?

Granaas, Michael
I routinely advise students to drop out--close enough?

There are plenty of nits to pick in the article, but the main theme--the need to stop pushing all students to go on to college--is spot on.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]
Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident
University of South Dakota
414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5351
Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195
My Personal Pet Project: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Chieut/20/252/88
Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/opinion/college-vocational-education-students.html<http://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/opinion/college-vocational-education-students.html>