Quantcast

computer help

Hyacinth Cortes
Hi,

I'm thinking of a new computer so I could get back into SL - my trusty old Macbook Pro can't update the graphics driver and no longer can handle SL.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a cheap computer, preferably laptop, that can handle SL?  And is it still important to look for an NVIDIA graphics card or will a standard Intel card be useful?  I don't really want to invest in an expensive gaming computer and at this point it would probably just be for SL.  I'm wondering if one of those cheap Dell's that Best Buy puts on sale would handle SL.

Thanks in advance.

Hyacinth Cortes

Re: computer help

David Gillett

Over the years, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how little computer I’ve been able to run SL on.  That said, my disappointment with SL on my MacBook Pro has been with how dark the screen is – setting my Sun Position to “midday” barely makes it tolerable.  My current laptop is an Acer V17 Aspie Nitro – it was about $1100 from Best Buy, but I’ve since seen them on eBay for under $00 (I was actually looking for a spare battery and/or power adapter…)  The V17 has a 17” screen (large for a laptop) 64-bit CPU, NVidia Geforce GTX graphics (I agree with Rolig o n this!) and BOTH a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive.

I haven’t tried any of the cheap Dells, but both the expensive Dells I’ve owned recently had components die, probably due to inadequate cooling.  Maybe the problem is specific to hat model, maybe not.  The Nitro comes with a little utility to periodically reverse the direction of the fans to minimize dust buildup inside the machine – some laptops try to save weight and power consumption by not having fans.

I’ve had a run of terrible disappointments with HP laptops.  The would run SL, but on 2 out of three, Firestorm could not recognize he audio hardware, and there’ve been other issues as well.  So I don’t recommend them.

David Gillett/Stealth Snook

Re: computer help

David Gillett

Aspire, not Aspie.  Under $600 on eBay.

Re: computer help

Rolig Loon
FWIW, the laptop I have had for the past three years -- th one I mentioned earlier and am using at the moment -- is a HP Pavilion DV7 64 bit machine with Intel i7 processor and 8GB of memory and  a NVidia GeForce 650M GT graphic card. At the time, it was a high mid-range gaming laptop and I bought it from NewEgg for close to $950.  It's still a fine machine, capable of running ultra graphics in SL, although the 650M is a lightweight card by today's standards.  The ASUS laptop that I was comparing it to quickly yesterday has an NVidia 960M card and sells for $750.  I didn't look deeply at its specs, but the graphics card alone is a good step up from mine.  Progress is still happening quickly.  The moral of the story, as always, is to buy the best machine that you can afford at the moment, knowing that it will be outclassed by something else a couple of years down the road but that yours will still be in the game.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:37 PM, David Gillett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Aspire, not Aspie.  Under $600 on eBay.

Re: computer help

David Gillett

  I believe I have seen the Geforce in the Nitro identified as a 960M – I don’t remember where.

  One of my HP machines was a Pavilion.  I tolerated Firestorm not playing sounds for a while, but I also found that Kindle ebooks had about a 50% chance of failing to download, which was at least an order of magnitude too high.  (An ebook would appear to download, but then the Kindle software would report that it “could not be opened”.  The failure rate didn’t seem to change when I switched internet connection, and once an ebook failed, hat ebook would fail no matter how many times I removed it and retried the download.  All of the effected ebooks downloaded successfully on other devices.

My only ASUS is more of a netbook than a laptop, and although I have run SL on an Aspire netbook, I wouldn’t recommend that to someone looking for a machine to use in SL.