space for classes

Kibbe, Sharon

Good afternoon everyone!

I have an Early College High School program in which we now have about 600 students.  ECU has been doing this program since 2009, but this year we have grown by several hundred students.  ECU has had a presence in SL since 2007 within the NMC estate.

The classes are run at different periods during the day beginning at 8:00 am EST.  There are also Tuesday classes.  During these Tuesday classes, Linden Lab runs their server reboots which causes us issues for about an hour.  In the past, we have just done our own island hopping as best we can.  However, with more students and classes, that will not be possible this semester.

I am hoping this list can help me as I need an alternate location outside of the NMC region that does not go “offline” on Tuesdays from 8-9:30 am EST.  It could involve about 4 classes of 30 students each.

Does anyone have a space we could use for lectures?  We would just pop over for about 20 minutes and then pop back to ECU.

Thanks for any help!

Dr. Sharon Kibbe
Abbie Michalski

Director, Early College Second Life Program

Academic Affairs

Ragsdale, Room 200A

Mailstop 139

East Carolina University

Greenville, NC  27858

252-328-9126

Re: space for classes

Granaas, Michael
Feel free to check out the locations I provide.  The "thumb tack" info giver at  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91  includes LMs to several spaces I make available.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           [hidden email]

Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident

University of South Dakota

414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295

Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195

My Personal Pet Project:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hamnida/139/62/91

Free classrooms for educators exploring Second Life

Re: space for classes

hajimen

Hi Sharron,

Tuesdays from 8-9:30 am EST is just the rush hour time of rolling restarts of whole SL.

In some region, rolling restarts are executed on Wednesday, but I don’t know how Linden manages on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Did you ask Linden’s user support?

Hajime Nishimura, JAMSTEC

Yan Lauria, Curator of Abyss Observatory and the Modern Museum at STEM Island

Re: space for classes

Kibbe, Sharon

Yes I did and the response was they can’t change the rolling restart days for us or even alter the times.  We thought we had a bead on times, but they kept changing.

Thanks to all who responded to me and I think I have some options.

Thank you,

Sharon

Re: space for classes

Adriance, Ellen S.

Dr. Kibbe,

UTMB has a campus, and  you may want to direct you question to our Virtual Steering Learning Committee’s Dr. Rodger Marion, listed above.

Thanks,

Ellen Adriance

Quality, Education, Systems & Training

Epic Senior Applications Systems Analyst

University of Texas Medical Branch – Texas City Operations

[hidden email]

office 409-986-2549

Re: space for classes

Kenneth Meyer-2
Hello Ellen: I don’t know how I missed this, age maybe; but, try the following link if you haven’t already:

I have an office there and there is plenty of space for classes.

I’m not the estate manager, and I’ll try to get that info to you if your interested; but, I don’t think she will have a problem with you guys using it as you have described.

In addition, can you give me so information regarding how you got the HS kids involved in SL? We work with Early College Alliance here at EMU and I would be interested in getting hem involved in a virtual world experience.
Please advise,
Hope this helps,
Ken Meyer
Sr. Career Coach
University Advising and Career Development
Eastern Michigan University

AM, Adriance, Ellen S. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dr. Kibbe,

UTMB has a campus, and  you may want to direct you question to our Virtual Steering Learning Committee’s Dr. Rodger Marion, listed above.

Thanks,

Ellen Adriance

Quality, Education, Systems & Training
Epic Senior Applications Systems Analyst
University of Texas Medical Branch – Texas City Operations
office 409-986-2549

Re: space for classes

Adriance, Ellen S.
Kenneth,

Just fyi I am not the requestor

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

Re: space for classes

Kenneth Meyer-2
Sorry.
On Jan 14, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Adriance, Ellen S. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Kenneth,

Just fyi I am not the requestor

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

Re: space for classes

Perrier, Gregory K.

Sharon,

The NOVA campus went down for a restart at 8:40 AM on Tuesday.  Seems to be on the same schedule at ECU.

Take care,

Greg Perrier

Associate Professor, Biology

Northern Virginia Community College, Manassas

6901 Sudley Road

Manassas, VA 20109-2399

Phone 703-257-6562

Fax 703-257-6505

Re: space for classes

Kibbe, Sharon

Hi, yes I did pop around there.  We went down at 7:55 though.  It is possible we could use your space, but we stayed down longer than normal today.  Usually it is about 10 minutes.  It was around 30 minutes.